Training & Development – Preferred Options Papers
Andy McMillan, Chairman of Training & Development, introduced the thinking behind the Society’s “Preferred Options” (PO) papers in August 2020.
The idea of the papers is to help referees and assessors work towards taking a more consistent approach and to continually improve the refereeing of individual officials of all levels and in the Society as a whole.
The full set of papers is listed below (click on the topic to download):
- PO#21 – Managing Refereeing Trends at Professional Level with Reference to the “Community Game”
- PO#20 – Refereeing the Head Contact Process (HCP) in the Community Game
- PO#19 – In Review.
- PO#18 – Briefing and On-field Refereeing (Under COVID-19 Law Variations)
- PO#17 – Refereeing the 2020 Law Variations
- PO#16 – The Maul: In Review.
- PO#15 – In Review.
- PO#14 – Understanding, Playing and Communicating Advantage
- PO#13 – Communication in Managing Conflict
- PO#12 – Communicating with Players and Coaches
- PO#11 – Game Values
- PO#10 – Characteristics of a Manchester Society Referee
- PO#9 – Characteristics of a Manchester Society Assessor (Adviser)
- PO#8 – Refereeing the Lineout
- PO#7 – What does good advising look like?
- PO#6 – Starts, Restarts and Offside in Open Play
- PO#5 – Refereeing the Scrum
- PO#4 – Positioning
- PO#3 – Preparation and the Briefing
- PO#2 – Maintenance and Management of Technical Areas
- PO#1 – Authority and Gaining Respect
If you have any questions on the matters covered by the papers or you have a suggestion for a paper, please do contact your grade mentor and/or Andy.